Non-fungible tokens (NFTs) have exploded in popularity recently as a new application of blockchain technology. For marketers and brands, NFTs present an opportunity to connect with audiences in new and exciting ways. In this article, we’ll explore different NFT marketing strategies brands can leverage as part of an integrated digital marketing strategy.
Table of contents
- What are NFTs and Why Are Brands Interested
- Top NFT Marketing Strategies for Brands
- Where to Promote and Sell NFT Campaigns
What are NFTs and Why Are Brands Interested
An NFT is a unique digital asset that represents ownership of a digital item like art, music, video clips, or even tweets. Each NFT is tracked on a blockchain ledger which provides proof of ownership and authenticity.
For brands, NFTs are appealing because they allow for forming deeper connections with valuable customers and fans.
Some key advantages of NFTs for marketing include:
- Scarcity – Each NFT is unique which makes them collectible and scarce. Brands can leverage this to create excitement and demand.
- New Revenue – NFTs present an opportunity to generate new revenue streams through sales or royalties.
- Engagement – NFT owners feel more connected to brands and are highly engaged ambassadors.
- Loyalty & Community – NFTs foster stronger loyalty and allow brands to cultivate vibrant online communities.
Let’s look at some of the top NFT campaign ideas for marketers.
Top NFT Marketing Strategies for Brands
1. Launch Unique Digital Collectibles
One of the most common NFT uses by brands is to create unique digital collectibles related to the brand and release them as NFT art.
These could be things like:
- Digital art depicting mascots or logos
- Iconic images and video clips from advertising history
- Behind-the-scenes photo galleries and video content
- Special animations or visualizations
For example, Coca-Cola auctioned a custom NFT art piece celebrating their heritage. Owning the NFT unlocks special rewards like attending a party with Coke’s CEO. This creates scarcity and excitement among fans.
2. Offer Additional Utility with NFTs
NFTs can provide owners special access, privileges, and utilities that excite collectors.
Brands are exploring adding utilities like:
- Access to exclusive brand events or early product releases
- Entry to loyalty programs with special rewards
- Unique AR Filters on Social Media
- Members-only discord community access
- Ability to vote on decisions or future products
- Physical merchandise or gift cards
For example, Budweiser offered year-long free beer rewards with the purchase of their NFT cans. Adding real-world utility makes NFT assets more valuable to collectors.
3. Grow Your Audience with Giveaways
NFT giveaways are an excellent tactic for growing brand awareness and your audience. The hype around owning an NFT makes giveaways extremely viral and shareable across social media.
Brands leverage giveaways in partnership with influencers and require fans to follow or tag friends to enter the contest. This allows expanding reach to new demographics. Giveaways can also be used to collect emails and grow mailing lists.
For example, Marvel recently gave away Spiderman NFTs to promote the movie launch. The campaign trended heavily on Twitter and helped build buzz among fans.
4. Fundraise for Charity with NFT Drops
Charity NFT campaigns are a trending strategy where brands release special NFT drops and donate the proceeds to social impact causes and non-profits.
This allows for generating funding for the charity while also earning goodwill and boosting brand image. The attached social cause makes the NFT drop more popular with collectors.
For example, the fast food chain Burger King created an NFT collection called “Keep It Real Meals” focused on International Women’s Day with proceeds funding scholarships for female employees.
5. Collaborate with Influencers on Co-branded NFT Drops
Collaborating with influencers on co-created NFT collections is an extremely effective strategy to expand reach. By collaborating, both the brand and influencer fanbase are leveraged for bigger awareness.
The scarce collectibles featuring both personal brands often sell for sky-high prices thanks to the combined hype. Fans love the idea of owning a crossover product from two iconic brands coming together.
For example, famous YouTuber Logan Paul partnered with social media app Lympo to drop NFTs combining both personal brands and featured unique artwork. The ultra-rare NFT pieces sold for over $100k each thanks to the collaborative promotion.
Where to Promote and Sell NFT Campaigns
The key to a successful NFT campaign is spreading awareness and promotion to the right audiences most likely to purchase the collectibles.
- Crypto Communities – Promote on cryptoDiscord servers, Reddit groups and Twitter feeds focused on NFT collectors and investors. These have the most active buyers.
- Email/SMS Marketing – Share NFT drops directly with fans via email and text messaging through existing contacts and mailing lists.
- Influencers – Pay key influencers and nano-influencers within crypto and related verticals to promote the NFT campaign across their social media feeds.
- Paid Ads – Run paid ads across Facebook, Instagram, and Google targeted to custom audiences interested in crypto and NFTs based on their browsing habits.
- OpenSea – The largest NFT marketplace hosting millions of buyers/sellers daily making it the ideal platform to list NFT art.
- Rarible – Similar to OpenSea, a huge secondary marketplace for NFT auctions and listings.
- SuperRare – Focused specifically on scarce single edition art NFT pieces.
- Foundation – A clean UI marketplace to showcase select artist NFT drops.
- AtomicHub – Features a more gamified style interface popular for brand collections and avatars.
Brands leverage a cross-channel digital marketing strategy to maximize awareness combined with listing on leading NFT marketplaces to access potential buyers.
As brands continue seeking out innovative ways to connect with consumers, NFT-based marketing campaigns provide new and exciting opportunities to drive meaningful engagement.
By combining utility-based perks, digital collectibles, charity connections, and collaborations tied to unique NFT assets, brands can cultivate stronger loyalty and brand affinity with customers in entirely new channels like the metaverse and crypto communities.
Adopting an integrated digital strategy that incorporates select NFT initiatives provides a way to stand out from competitors and form much deeper consumer connections through digital ownership and blockchain technology.